Gardening Tips October
- Replace summer bedding as it comes to the end with winter bedding.
- Plant spring flowering bulbs.
- Split and divide perennials and cut down dying tops.
- Move tender plants under cover in cold weather.
- Plant trees and shrubs.
- Finish picking apples and pears only store undamaged fruit.
- Sow overwintering onions and garlic.
- Plant spring cabbage plants.
- Lift and divide rhubarb crowns.
- Remove greenhouse shading and install bubble insulation
- Plant early spring bulbs in pots
- Bring in tender plants to overwinter
- Give the greenhouse a good clean inside to reduce overwintering pests
- Once the dry weather comes to an end scarify and aerate the lawn
- Apply autumn lawn feed
- Keep removing dead leaves from the lawn
- Lay new lawns with turf
- Plant up prepared hyacinths for Christmas flowering
- Make sure planted pots are raised off the ground to aid drainage
- Make a note of which plants didn’t perform well this year so they can be replaced next year
- As the fish get less active start feeding with a wheatgerm feed
- Give a final, light thinning of oxygenating plants
- Net your pond to prevent falling leaves going in and decomposing in the water